To upskills Transnet’s employee’s skills in courses that address the construction of railway lines and turnouts, as well as maintenance of the railway track.
R&H Training was contracted for service to conduct training, assessments and certification of RME’s trainee track masters in Bellville, Durban and the Port Elizabeth regions. Training programmes were developed to ensure performance in railway track construction and maintenance with a view to create occupational readiness and enhance safety and reliability.
R&H Training was responsible for conducting facilitation, assessments and evaluation throughout the training of principles an on-the-job training. The training was conducted to address the following:
- Select, use and maintain perway tools and equipment; Demonstrate an understanding of materials and components used in rail construction and maintenance
- Maintain associated works; Maintain ballasts; Afford on track protection
- Maintain clearances, safety devices and markers to ensure a safe rail environment
- Restore track alignment; Maintain rails; Maintain turnouts and turnout components
- Maintain sleepers; Install and maintain track side lubricators
- Build a standard rail turnout; Construct a railway line; De-stressing of rails
- Measure track Geometry in order to determine track condition