The Client planned to establish an Iron Ore Mine in the vicinity of Mayoko located within the south-west region of the Republic of Congo.
To accommodate its target of producing 10Mtpa of iron ore by 2017, the existing rail corridor was identified as one of the most important attributes of this opportunity. The rail line would have to be repaired, upgraded and the capacity expanded.
R&H Rail was appointed to complete Concept and Pre-Feasibility Studies on the rail solution for the planned phases as well as to execute the Detail Design of the Phase 1 (2 Mtpa) loading and off-loading facilities.
The following activities were covered:
- Rail Operations: Design and simulation of an optimum train service, including train length, locomotive balancing and train dynamics
- Signalling and Telecommunications: Develop feasible options for foreseen train service, taking future requirements into account
- Rolling Stock: Develop specifications and tender documents for locomotives and wagons, commissioning of locomotives and wagons. Initialize and assist in development of “purpose built” short container wagons that can be converted to gondolas
- Loading and off-loading facilities: Layout and operations for loading the iron Ore near the mine site at the Mayoko station as well as off-loading facilities and operations at Pointe-Noire harbour
- Integration of rail infrastructure maintenance operations and facilities, including rolling stock maintenance facilities; detail design of the maintenance facilities, tender documents, administration and tender process
- Reinstatement and Upgrading requirements: Existing Mont Belo to Mayoko railway line: site investigations, negotiations, tender documents and tender process
- Bridge assessments: Site investigations, “reverse engineering” calculations of existing structure capacities, detail upgrading design of bridges to accommodate higher axle loads, tender documents and tender process
The Concept Study for facilities at the Port of Pointe Noire covered the development of different options with regards to:
- Port Infrastructure: Lead study and manage specialist sub- consultant, ZAA Engineering Projects and Naval Architecture (Pty) Ltd
- Material handling: Lead study and manage specialist sub- consultant, DemcoTECH Materials Handling Engineering
- Rail off-loading facilities: Concept development and integration of rail facilities with material handling and port