Design a test track and expand existing facilities at the Wolmerton Depot to allow storage and testing of the new PRASA trains.
Within the supply of the new trains, is the requirement to conduct running trials and inspections. To this end, a temporary testing facility was required at the Wolmerton Depot, located to the North of Pretoria, to be able to accommodate the early vehicle deliveries. Additional design work was required for the “temporary” (or short term) testing facilities for 2 additional running shed lines; an additional lifting shed line and a 1.6km electrified test track.
R&H Rail undertook the following phases:
- Conceptual Design: Preparation of layout options for the test track to optimize curvature and length as well as yard gather modifications to include the necessary additional lines
- Detailed Design: Preparation of the horizontal and vertical geometric design for both staging lines as well as the test track to the relevant PRASA standards. The track structure design was undertaken to utilize available material.
- Interface management: Full interface management with external consultants who were designing the earthworks, drainage, OHTE and structural elements of the facility to ensure design compatibility.
- Construction monitoring & oversight: Construction planning together with regular on-site inspection and record checking was undertaken to ensure adherence of construction to design as well as verification of work processes to approved method statements to enhance safety.
- Commissioning & Closeout: Commissioning of the works with associated data packs including site assessments & reports, quality documentation (Data Books, Method Statements, QCP’ and As-Built drawings).